Monday, July 31, 2006

Ffantastic Fforde

I was just over to Emma's blog, and discovered that there has been a new Fforde released. In the UK. No doubt it won't be released for months over here. I want to know a release date - hopefully the empire can shed some light on the situation after work.

Emma knits, eats vegetables, and has, I'm to believe, written a brilliant dissertation on spy literature that I've yet to read. It was in our last year at Queen's that Emma and I came to be friends, tho quite aware of one anothers' presence for several years previous.

We spent time under The Bonge studying literary theory, and applying our critical eye to the study of Dracula, James Bond, and other popular fiction. That year provided me with a great deal of opportunity to write what I wanted to write, and to explore my own voice a little more. My favourite project was probably researching Kingston's Sexual History. That was an interesting paper...

Last summer I spent a couple of weeks in London, and had quite the time with Emmms and her boy, Matthew. Enjoyed the music, wrote a whole lot in my journal at various pubs and cafés, and spent time relaxing after India. It was a good liminal space for me, wholly necessary before returning to the intensity and expectations of home. It's hard to believe that it's been a year since I was last there.

Talking about the day's news, about religion, music, literature, and all the rest, I don't think there's a single time I've walked away from a conversation with Emma unchallenged to think of things in bold new ways. Maybe one day Ericka and I will have the chance to visit London again - or, if the universe unfolds as it should - to live in that city for a year or two.

Then maybe the two of them could meet.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i really enjoyed that paper on kingston's sexual history. being the total history geek and my undying love for this city, it was a treat to read.

7:05 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home