Thursday, January 12, 2006

In Memoriam

In memory of Ralph Eibner

I waited for you today. I waited for you and you did not come, and I wondered why. I wondered how you could be so hurtful, so insensitive, so ignorant. I wondered where this relationship was going, what I could gain from something such as this.

And then the words. He will not come today. He will not come to see you ever again.

I walked, dazed, across the street, caught the bus home. All the while highschoolers loudly discussed the latest fashion, trend, gossip and rumour. "He slept with her," and, "She with him." "She said this," and, "he that." And in the midst of this, I knew. I had been hurtful. I had been insensitive. I was ignorant.

All I feel is hollow. Empty. Alone. We were going to talk today. We were going to discuss. We were going to discuss the ins and outs of the past few weeks, the troubles and struggles and discoveries. We were going to talk about my journey.

You, as always, would point out things I'd not seen before. You, as always, would listen, ponder, meditate on these things and guide me in new directions never imagined. You, as always would pass on wisdom, a word, a feeling that would keep me thinking and reeling for days.

But you did not come today. And you will not come ever again.

At home, I watch Lost in Translation. We are all lost. We are all in translation. And yet you - you are no longer. You are no longer lost. You are no longer in translation. No longer do you linger in this state. You are as you are. You are as nothing, and yet, as everything. You are more than what you've been. Perfected. The image of God has been realised in you, my friend. You are as you were created to be.

You are. You were. You are a friend, a brother, a mentor to me.

And in your passing, I pray God's glory to shine upon you. I pray God's glory to move upon the earth, in the hearts of those who ever had opportunity to encounter your spirit - if even for a moment. Into God's hands we commit your spirit. Into God's hands alone. And in him. And in him, you are free. And I pray your pain be healed, your sorrow overturned, your life renewed, restored, and redeemed.

And as you go, friend, may the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make his face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you; may the Lord lift his countenance upon you and give you rest.

Amen.

Technorati Tags: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home