Monday, December 12, 2005

Just Wondering

Is it possible for the Bible to become an Idol? Seriously. I've been ruminating on my last (re)post for awhile, and it was hit home to me earlier today in class. Because you've read the book, does it mean you have the corner on the truth, or does it simply mean that you're pointing more in the right direction?

I wonder if the Bible hasn't become an idol for many of us. If it doesn't point beyond itself, to the very person of Jesus Christ, to the Creator God of Israel, then we're over-emphasising and over-sanctifying bound paper with ink spilled on it for its own sake. Should the stories and the truths contained therein point us further back, to the supreme cause of all of these things?

Or should they be used to bash people over the head with a book that conveniently tells us that everyone else is a complete moron?

7 Comments:

Blogger Ericka said...

just when you think you have Jesus nailed down, eh?

8:57 p.m.  
Blogger andrew said...

I think I've got it right this time. Really. Don't mess with me, I'm brilliant.

9:03 p.m.  
Blogger Deepanjan said...

The Bible, like many other books, is worth its existance. But I get the feeling its importance is overemphasized.

10:31 p.m.  
Blogger andrew said...

How so?

2:49 a.m.  
Blogger Sarah said...

Hi Andrew--Just checked out your blog and it is pretty amazing/interesting. thanks for your encouragement about paki..we are still hoping for her...peace on ya, Sarah

7:07 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey man,

Not too get super theological on ya, but I think Karl Barth would agree that the Bible can become an idol if we're not letting it point to Jesus.

If you have some spare time (and a whole lotta spare brain cells, it can be a little mind bending) try reading his commentary on Romans.

9:51 p.m.  
Blogger andrew said...

Barth, eh? Sounds like some light Christmastime reading. I'll give it a shot sooner or later. Thanks for the recommendation!

11:59 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home